About Me

My photo
I am a 25-year old sinner saved by grace. I have been richly blessed with a wonderful wife. I work to find Christian homes for children in foster care. I photograph weddings and portraits with my wife. Most importantly, I love Christ because He has saved me, and I hope that by reading this blog, you will be pleased to say the same.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

"Theology is doxology or it is nothing at all."

October 6, 2008

This quote comes from Ethelbert Stauffer out of a book called 'Christian Worship: Its Theology and Practice', and I would say it holds a good measure of value. Doxology is defined by our good friends over at dictionary.com as, "a hymn or form of words containing an ascription of praise to God." To interpret the above quote I would say that the study of God (theology) results in praise offered to God (doxology) or it is not really theology at all. I mean think about it, if you get some insight into who God is, won't you be compelled to praise Him? When God reveals something to you, don't you respond with a burning desire to worship Him? I've heard a song a few times now where the words say "I choose to humble myself in Your presence" and it's made me think, wait a minute...if you're in God's presence I don't think you really have a choice, you're GOING to be humbled in His presence. Anyway, let me get back to this point about worship that I really want to develop...

In the same book I mentioned above the authors make the comment that "worship without theology is sentimental and weak; theology without worship is cold and dead." This quote kind of embodies the extremes of Christianity in America specifically. If one only studies God and depends on his/her own reasoning to experience God then they end up depending on themselves to know God and essentially idolize their own mind. On the other side, if one seeks only to have some kind of subjective, emotional experience then they are prone to fall into bizarre practices that glorify the experience instead of God. Both obviously are flawed, and as in most cases this is not an "either/or" situation but rather a "both/and" situation. It is imperative that one studies God via the avenues He has given for study, most notably of course being the Holy Scriptures. This same person though, must also realize the power of revelation through the Holy Spirit which is God's manifestation of Himself among His people. Without both of these things a person's worship of the Lord becomes lopsided.

I'm taking a class right now called, Music in Worship, which has prompted these comments. As a worship leader I've really been indirectly challenged by the things that I'm learning as to how I go about "leading worship." I've come to realize that my bias is towards the experiential side of things. This being to evoke a certain emotional reaction in people when I lead worship, however this without sound theology can devolve into something unhealthy. My desire is for authentic worship, which truly will come by the leading and prompting of the Holy Spirit. Since, I know that the Holy Spirit does not guide into false worship I truly desire to be led in.

We must see that our worship is not merely intellectual or emotional, but rather spiritual which encompasses and utilizes both of those things. Jesus makes it really clear in John 4:23-24, "But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship Him. God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." Reading those words of Jesus, reminds me of just how bad I desire to worship the Lord God, Creator of heaven and earth, as He deserves to be worshipped. The hour is already here as Jesus has stated, let's be a part of this generation of worshippers who worship in spirit and truth.

Blessings to you all in Christ Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment