About Me

My photo
I am a 25-year old sinner saved by grace. I have been richly blessed with a wonderful wife. I work to find Christian homes for children in foster care. I photograph weddings and portraits with my wife. Most importantly, I love Christ because He has saved me, and I hope that by reading this blog, you will be pleased to say the same.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Rejoicing in Our Salvation

July 9, 2009

One of the reasons that I love leading worship through music is the joy and passion that I have the opportunity to express through it. There are few things more satisfying to me than singing passionately about the attributes of God (His power, might, glory, love, mercy, justice, etc.) as well as His saving work in my life and in the life of His people. I am so taken by the glory of God in all that He does.

Today, I’m moved to write specifically about our response to God’s saving work, our salvation. The fact of the matter is that God has worked in and of Himself to save His people from the wrath and eternal torment that they deserve. We all lie, cheat, steal, murder, lust, break the law, and do every other manner of detestable thing. We have done those things, are doing them, and will do more of them. Each sin that we commit hurts others, hurts us, and most of all dishonors God. God has already determined to punish these sins. After Paul lists out a number of different sins in Ephesians 5 he states clearly in verse 6, “for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.” Sin prompts God’s wrath. And then consider the psalm quoted by Paul in Romans 3, Psalm 14:3, “They have all turned aside; together they have become corrupt; there is none who does good, not even one.” Friends, we are drowning in our sins!

But then, here comes our precious hope and joy! “Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!” (Romans 7:24-25a). By His wounds our wounds are healed! How beautiful is the broken body, the blood, the thorny crown, and the cross of Christ Jesus! Our rescue is in the horrific and glorious sacrifice of Christ.

Brothers and sisters, if we truly believe that, then how could we keep from rejoicing?! Why would we sit in our pews while the person leading music in church sings:

“Oh precious is the flow, that makes me white as snow
No other fount I know, nothing but the blood of Jesus!”

My exhortation is a simple one: rejoice in the salvation given freely to us by Jesus Christ our Lord! When we worship God, whether in song, or in tithing, or in serving, or in praying, do it with a joyful heart! Allow the passion of Christ and our passion for Christ to permeate how we act, what we say, and what we do. Don’t settle for anything less than a joyful, satisfying, wonderous, and God-honoring faith.

Zechariah 9:9:
“Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout aloud, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your king is coming to you; righteous and having salvation is he, humble and mounted on a donkey…”

May your joy be complete in Christ Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment